- April 9, 2021
- Posted by: Admin
- Category: 2021 General Election, News Stories
Electoral Commission of Zambia Chief Electoral Officer Mr. Kryticous Nshindano announced the establishment of the Technical Committee on Mainstreaming of Covid-19 prevention measures in the 2021 General Election Calendar at a Press Briefing at Elections House in Lusaka on 2nd April, 2021.
In the briefing, Mr. Nshindano said that the Technical Committee which would look at modalities of holding the 2021 General Election amidst the COVID-19 pandemic has been constituted and held its inaugural meeting on 31st March, 2021.
He said that the technical Committee was formed following a 22nd February, 2021 consultative meeting between the Ministry of Health and the Electoral Commission of Zambia whose resolution was to form a technical committee to work on mainstreaming COVID-19 prevention mechanisms into the 2021 General Election Calendar.
Mr. Nshindano said that membership of the Technical Committee had been drawn from the following institutions;
- Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (MIB)
- Ministry of Health (MOF)
- Ministry of Local Government (MLG)
- Zambia National Public Health Institute (ZNPHI)
- Disaster Management and Mitigation Unit (OVP-DMMU)
- Zambia Centre for Inter Party Dialogue (ZCID)
- Civil Society Organisation
- Zambia Police Service (ZP)
- Media Institute for Southern Africa (MISA) – Zambia; and
- Electoral Commission of Zambia
On resolutions of the inaugural meeting of the Technical Committee, Mr. Nshindano said that it was resolved that Terms of Reference for the Technical Committee which would report to his Office would be crafted. “The Technical Committee will be meeting on a regular basis to speed up the formulation of guidelines and allow for timely engagement of political parties and other stakeholders” Said Mr. Nshindano.
See Video of the Press Briefing here.