- March 30, 2021
- Posted by: Admin
- Category: 2021 General Election, Press Release, Press Releases
30th March 2021
The Technical Committee to look at modalities of holding the 2021 General Election amidst the COVID-19 pandemic has been constituted and held its inaugural meeting today. This follows the 22nd February 2021 consultative meeting between the Ministry of Health and Electoral Commission of Zambia whose resolution was to form a technical committee to work on mainstreaming COVID-19 prevention mechanisms into the 2021 General Election Calendar.
Membership has been drawn from the following institutions;
- Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (MIB)
- Ministry of Health (MOH)
- Ministry of Local Government (MLG)
- Zambia National Public Health Institute (ZNPHI)
- Disaster Management and Mitigation Unit (OVP-DMMU)
- Zambia Centre for Inter Party Dialogue (ZCID)
- Civil Society Organisation
- Zambia Police Service (ZP)
- Media Institute for Southern Africa (MISA) – Zambia; and
- Electoral Commission of Zambia
The Electoral Commission of Zambia is leading the process.
In today’s meeting, the Electoral Commission of Zambia presented the Election Calendar with associated activities while the Ministry of Health and the Zambia National Public Health Institute (ZNPHI) presented the current country scenario of the COVID-19 pandemic. The two presentations form a basis for what the Committee will be focusing on.
As a way forward, the meeting agreed to among other things:
- Formulate the Terms of Reference for the Technical Committee
- Ministry of Health to provide disaggregated demographic data and how COVID-19 has affected each population segment.
- Review the adequacy of the legal framework to ascertain levels of adherence and;
- Identify structures that will support the cascading of information to the rest of the stakeholders.
The Technical Committee will be meeting on a regular basis to speed up the formulation of guidelines and allow for timely engagement of political parties and other stakeholders
Corporate Affairs Manager
For/The Chief Electoral Officer
ELECTORAL COMMISION OF ZAMBIA