- September 22, 2017
- Posted by: Admin
- Category: JOBS/BIDS/EOIs
The Electoral Commission of Zambia seeks to recruit qualified and experienced Zambian nationals to fill the following vacant position:-
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
To plan and coordinate provision of professional legal services to the Commission in support of the functions of the Commission and provides secretarial services to the Commission and Commission committees.
This is a senior management position reporting to the Chief Electoral Officer.
1. Provides professional legal advice to the Commission on procedural and substantive issues relating to electoral law.
2. Leads the formulation and review of policies and procedures designed to ensure that the Commission and its employees comply with relevant electoral laws and regulations.
3. Monitors Commission activities and provides relevant legal advice to the Commission to ensure compliance with statutory requirements.
4. Reviews legal implications in existing legislation and policies and recommends new legislation and amendments to existing legislation or policy.
5. Prepares legal documents such as contracts and assignments on behalf of the Commission.
6. Reviews proposals and prepares statutory instruments and gazette notices as required.
7. Coordinates with the Attorney General’s Chambers on legal matters of public interest related to the functions of the Commission.
8. Liaises with Procurement for the engagement of legal firms to represent the Commission on special assignments and on on-going contracts of services.
9. Monitors the performance of legal firms and counsel engaged to conduct litigation on behalf of the Commission and takes necessary action to ensure that performance is to the required standard.
10. Represents the Commission in court for litigation as necessary.
11. Prepares agenda for meetings of Members of the Commission and ensures that all the Members receive the agenda and necessary documentation for the meetings.
12. Drafts routine responses to internal communication as directed by the Commission.
13. Carries out background research to get and organize information required by the Members of Commission to make decisions or take action.
14. Organizes reports and other documents on behalf of the Commission to ensure that Members of the Commission are well-prepared for meetings or presentations.
15. Accompanies Members of the Commission, where necessary, for meetings, take notes and drafts report of proceedings and conclusions on behalf of the Members.
16. Follows up on actions taken based on the Commission and Commission committee meetings to ensure that agreed recommendations and resolutions are implemented.
17. Creates and maintains a high performance environment characterised by ethical performance and strong team orientation.
18. Keeps abreast of developments in area of speciality and adheres to the code of ethics of the profession.
19. Prepares departmental budget to reflect its operational requirements and liaises with Finance department for its control during the year.
20. Assesses the training needs of staff in the department and liaises with the Human Resource and Administration Manager for their training and development to enhance their performance.
21. Participate fully in performance and other organisation-wide management practices as required.
22. Perform any other related duties that the supervisor may reasonably request from time to time.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
1. Bachelor of Laws (LLB) Degree
2. Admission to the Bar
3. Master of Laws Degree (LLM) or Equivalent will be an added advantage.
4. Must be a member of the Law Association of Zambia (LAZ) and in possession of a valid practicing licence.
5. Eight years relevant post qualification experience, three of which must be at senior management level.
6. Experience in a quasi-government institution will be an added advantage.
7. Strong ICT skills.
8. Valid driving licence and accident free personal driving experience in the last three years.
PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES FOR THE POSITION
2. Honest and reliable with moral strength.
3. Innovative and proactive.
4. High degree of attention to detail.
5. High degree of integrity.
6. Tact and diplomacy.
7. Ability to work with minimum supervision.
SKILLS REQUIRED FOR THE POSITION
1. Good inter-personal and communication skills.
2. Analytical, organizational and leadership skills.
3. Report writing and general written and oral presentation skills.
Interested candidates should send their applications (clearly indicating position of interest on the envelop) to the undersigned enclosing detailed Curriculum Vitae with names of three (03) traceable referees including their contact phone numbers not later than 29th September, 2017.
The Chief Electoral Officer,
Electoral Commission of Zambia,
Elections House, Haile Selassie Avenue,
P. O. Box 50274,